What We Believe
We believe, teach, and confess…
- That there is only one true God—the Holy Trinity (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit), as confessed in the three ecumenical creeds of historic Christianity, who is the Creator and Sustainer of all things.
- That all people are born in bondage to sin, death, and the devil, and are unable to save themselves or make themselves right with God by their own powers.
- That Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is our Lord and Savior from sin, death, and hell. He is both true God and true man, born of the Virgin Mary, who lived a perfect and holy life for us, shed His blood for us on the cross to atone for our sins, and rose from the dead on the third day declaring His victory over Satan and the grave for us.
- That the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, calls us to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ by the Word of God, and that the Holy Spirit delivers Christ’s forgiveness, life, and salvation to us—fully and freely as God’s undeserved gift of love—through the preaching of the Word, and through Baptism, Absolution, and the Lord’s Supper.
- That Christ works in us, through His Word and Spirit, so that we trust in God and live in sacrificial love toward others in the vocations to which He has called us.
- That the Bible is the inspired and inerrant Word of God and the final judge of all doctrine and practice in the Church and in the lives of Christians.
- That the sanctity of all human life from conception until death, of marriage between one man and one woman, and of human sexuality within marriage as an expression of love between a man and a woman and for the procreation of children, are truths by which God’s people in Christ live.
- That Christ will come again on the Last Day to judge the living and the dead and to give eternal life to all who believe in Him.