Our Story

History of St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church

  • On the Feast of St. John the Baptist, June 24, 1866, St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church became a worshiping congregation of believers in Christ. St. John’s was founded by German immigrants living in the old “Brown’s Corners” area, in the Town of Hubbard on County Road V. St. John’s is located in the same place it began nearly 150 years ago.
  • After a series of capital improvements and remodeling over the years, the current church building was built in 1904. It, too, has gone through a number of renovations over the years, but it is a marvelously warm and welcoming place for the people of God to gather for worship, the Lord’s Supper, prayer, and the study of God’s Word.
  • Those who are part of the Body of Christ at St. John’s come from the towns and countryside surrounding us on County Highway V. Our members live in Horicon, Iron Ridge, Mayville, Theresa, Lomira, and the Towns of Hubbard and Herman. St. John’s is a small town and rural church in an idyllic country setting. Our large yard provides opportunities for congregation and community recreation and fellowship activities. Perhaps you might join us when we sponsor such events.